A twist on traditional Semantic Web Technologies, OpenAmplify looks to go beyond simply data categorization or classification and strike at the heart of what content means. By its own definition, “OpenAmplify is a web service that brings human understanding to content.” In doing so, it decodes the linguistic structure of content and returns the embedded topics, brands, people, perspectives, emotions, actions and timescales. OpenAmplify provides a unique tool and resource to the Semantic Web community.
So What Does OpenAmplify do?
Put simply, Amplify Meaning. OpenAmplify identifies the parts of speech in text and captures indicators of emotional meaning. By utilizing OpenAmplify, text can be analyzed from a semantic standpoint while retaining the ability to look at meaning of the underlying content.
How Does OpenAmplify Work?
OpenAmplify analyzes text content from any source using language processing technology and returns different ‘signals‘ in an XML structure.
5 different text analyses exist to chose from individually, but the option to amplify text using all analyses is available as well.
Analyses of the text include:
- The Topic Analysis – Which returns topical signals including a positive or negative perception (polarity) and degree to which guidance is sought (guidance).
- The Action Analysis – Which returns signals related to actions detected in the text including the likelihood of the action being taken (decisiveness), degree to which guidance is sought (guidance) and time when the action might take place (temporality).
- The Style Analysis – Which returns stylistic signals indicating how elaborate and decorative the linguistics are (flamboyancy) as well as the degree to which the text invokes slang vocabulary (slang).
- The Demographic Analysis – Which returns the likely age, gender and education level of the text’s author or audience.
- The TopicIntentions Analysis – Which reports topics with associated action signals (A hybridization of Topic and Action).
Upon submission, OpenAmplify returns an XML structure, denoting an amplification of the content corresponding to the desired analysis.
How Can OpenAmplify Help Me?
OpenAmplify provides a tool and resource for both individuals and corporations.
Distinct uses for OpenAmplify include:
- Online Advertising – By enabling advertisers, publishers and ad networks to monitor brand safety, reputation management, targeting and SEO online through real-time content analysis in XML structure which can be dynamically incorporated and acted upon.
- News Analytics – By providing a qualitative data component, generated from precision amplification of topic representation, to a quantitative news flow.
- Blog post-tagging and comment analysis – By providing feedback for content generators on the tone and structure of their language and writing style, bloggers can know how to tag their posts and how readers perceived it via comments.
How Do I use OpenAmplify?
However you want! Currently OpenAmplify hosts an OpenAmplify repository of applications built by the OpenAmp Team and community users. Two Notable applications include: TweetyPants and the OpenAmplify Gmail Add-On (which requires Grease Monkey).
To use OpenAmplify for a personal web service like the Gmail Add-On or a Drupal plugin, you will need to:
- Join the OpenAmplify community.
- Go Edit Profile, and copy your OpenAmplify API Key to enter in any OpenAmplify applications of your choice.
Note: OpenAmplify provides 1,000 free “transactions” per day, once you’ve registered for your free API key. This proves generous enough for the average user. A premium service is available to individuals and organizations looking for responses in excess of that.
Can’t find that perfect tool to meet your text amplification need? Amp it yourself!
OpenAmplify offers a wide range of tutorials and developer resources. ranging from code samples, tutorials, and documentation to help you construct that perfect application. I’m currently developing a free OpenAmplify WordPress plugin for semantic tagging and linguistic text feedback, so if your a WordPress blogger, hold tight, there’s a solution in the works!
In A Nutshell
All in all, OpenAmplify is pretty unique in its construct and contribution to the Semantic Web. The vast array of solutions and web applications it offers are powerful. Furthermore, interface with an API offers the web community a sure fire way to amplify content as best they see fit. If your looking to take your content generation and analysis to a whole new level and see what it really means, give it a try.